Yes, we had school quickly on Memorial Day. My husband took care of the Memorial Day preparations while I whizzed through school with the girls. I’m cutting back to the bare bones of school right now to reach our subject goals for the year.
N (age 11):
- Math: N warmed up with mental math. Her lesson was a review of symmetry and lines of symmetry. She’s studied this before, so she got done quickly. I’ve decided to forego lesson review for N, because she’ll be starting the next year’s math curriculum in the fall, and the first thirty or so lessons are focused on review.
- Spelling: N practiced her words with the prefixes “trans-,” “dis-,” and “un-.”
- Reading: N read a chapter of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
- Bible: N and C recited their verses, the books of the Old Testament, the books of the New Testament through James, and the twelve tribes of Israel. The lesson was on the Israelites complaining once again because they had no water. We talked about the misplaced object of their complaints (they complained against Moses, but were actually complaining against God).
- History: N and C learned about the weakening of the Roman Empire, and the division of the Roman Empire into two separate empires. We speculated on the reasons that one of the empires became rich while the other became poor, and talked about the resentment that may have resulted from that disparity. They located the ancient Roman Empire on their maps and drew the dividing line.
- Music: The usual.
C (age 9):
- Math: C had an assessment today. I’m trying to teach her to skip a problem if she doesn’t understand it and to come back to it after she’s completed the rest of the assessment. She’s very resistant to doing so because she likes to go in order. I had to explain the wording of a few of the story problems, but she was able to solve them after I worded them a bit differently.
- Spelling: C practiced her words with the long “e” sound.
- Reading: C read a chapter of Little House in the Big Woods.
- Bible: Combined class with N.
- History: Combined class with N.
- Music: The usual.
S (age 6): Flashcard Day!