Today didn’t start off well, because N is still not completely caught up with her independent work and C, who gets her stubborn streak from me, was being particularly stubborn about something. I confiscated electronics (until all independent work is brought current) and some allowance (with an opportunity to earn it back by not being stubborn), and was a bit of a grumpy mom for the first 15-20 minutes of school.
N (age 11):
- Math: N and I spent math class reviewing some of the concepts that were still a little sticky for her (most notably, converting subtraction problems to algebraic addition problems), and catching up on all the worksheets she’s been putting off.
- Spelling: Still looking for that book. Yet another reason her electronics are locked in my bedroom.
- Reading: She will finish Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone today and watch the movie, because I’m not letting her out of the classroom until she’s current with all of her work. C read aloud to her as well.
- Bible: N and C reviewed their memory verses and the books of the Old Testament. They began memorizing this week’s verse (Exodus 20:10) and began to learn the books of the New Testament through John. The lesson introduced the book of Job. We talked about how some people believe it is a true story, while others believe (based on the way it’s written) that it’s an allegory. We talked about the type of man Job was based on the description in the Bible.
- Science: N and C began to learn about the two types of metamorphic rocks and how they are formed.
- History: N and C learned about the Warring States period of China’s history, Shi Huangdi and the Qin Empire, and the Great Wall of China. They compared and contrasted the Buddha and Confucious. They learned about the Chinese invention of book printing that was necessitated by their intricate calligraphy and about the “Seven Mysteries” of Chinese writing. They tried to guess the meaning of several Chinese characters. They located the Great Wall of China on their maps and highlighted the Qin Empire.
- Music: The usual.
C (age 9):
- Math: C warmed up with mental math and a worksheet on the 6 times table. She learned about rounding a number to the nearest ten and rounding a money amount to the nearest dollar. She picked it up right away and finished a lesson review.
- Spelling: C practiced her words with different ways to spell the long “o” and long “u” sounds.
- Writing: C began to write her dialogue.
- Reading: C read Goddess Girls: Pheme the Gossip aloud to N for 20 minutes.
- Bible: Combined class with N.
- Science: Combined class with N.
- History: Combined class with N.
- Music: C practiced her chord transitions and the A note.
S (age 6): Flashcard day!